Köehler Books awards traditional contracts every year, and each one is carefully considered and chosen. Many come to us by way of agents or very experienced authors, but every manuscript has potential, even those from debut authors.
Our criteria for authors seeking a traditional deal include:
- An amazing and inspired story that is superbly crafted and edited
- Collaborative authors who have an entrepreneurial attitude
- A verifiable track record of sales success from previous titles
- A strong marketing platform and promotional plan
- A dedicated following of readers
Included Features with a Traditional Contract:
- Turnkey publishing and management by Köehler Books
- Softcover, hardcover and e-book
- Award-winning custom editing and design
- Publishing contract with a 3+-year+ term
- ISBNs for softcover, hardcover and e-book are included
- Cooperative team treatment of author
- Print and digital full distribution through Ingram to 39,000 bookstores and online retailers
- 30–50% author royalties on print and digital net sales, 50% on audio and foreign rights sales.
- Possible advance on royalties
- Inclusion in Ingram’s catalogs, Edelweiss and Overdrive
- Our marketing program includes tip sheet, media releases, book Web page, cover polls, and promotion of the book to booksellers, Ingram and other distributors. We also coach authors on social media and other marketing through the life cycle of the book.
- 20 copies of your softcover and a hardcover proof
- Ability to purchase additional books below wholesale and sell them directly from your website
Think this is the right publishing model for you?
Traditional publishing is best for established writers. If you’re such a writer–or you have a spectacular story, superbly crafted–this may be for you.
Or maybe traditional publishing isn’t for you?
We publish two ways.
Typically for established writers with superb stories
- This option is normally only for seasoned writers (with or without an agent) with superb work and a verifiable track record of sales and marketing success. The term traditional means that the author will not pay for any development costs or fees, and will typically be offered an advance payment on royalties.
Typically for emerging and established writers
- This option is best for emerging writers with high-quality work desiring a professional-level publishing experience. Writers accepted into our Emerging Author Program are positioned to land a traditional deal on subsequent books. Those best suited for this program are motivated and collaborative, and receive the same level of editing, creative development and marketing as our traditional authors.
Meet your publisher and executive editor.
John Köehler and Joe Coccaro talk about their passion—helping other authors achieve their dreams.
Here’s our gift to you.
GET YOUR FREE EBOOK
Pocket Guide to Publishing: 100 Things Authors Should Know
“A clever and candid look under the hood of today’s publishing vehicle.” Ooh, I need this!“I wish Pocket Guide had been available when I started out.” “A real no nonsense guide for authors that cuts to the chase about publishing.”